Executive Vice President & Partner | Nashville
Bert Mathews is president of The Mathews Company, a leading commercial real estate development company in Nashville, TN, and is a partner with the brokerage firm Colliers International Nashville. Bert has been a leading force in the Nashville area’s vibrant commercial real estate industry and active in the city’s civic and nonprofit communities, playing key leadership roles in efforts to move Nashville forward for more than four decades.
As the third-generation leader of The Mathews Company, Bert is carrying on the family tradition of community leadership and corporate success started by his grandfather Robert C.H. Mathews and continued by his father, Bob Mathews Jr. Bert counts among his accomplishments the transformation of the historic Trolley Barns at Rolling Mill Hill, which renovated the property into an entrepreneurial hub, redevelopment of The Stahlman Building, Lofts at 160 and dozens of other successful developments in and around downtown Nashville.
Bert joined The Mathews Company in 1984 and became president in 1992, overseeing development, acquisitions, and financing of a portfolio today worth more than $350 million. As a commercial real estate broker, Bert and his team at Colliers International Nashville, have emerged as one of the top brokerage firms in Middle Tennessee.
Bert is a national leader of the Urban Land Institute, recently serving in the highest level of leadership as Global Trustee, advising on land use practices worldwide. He also serves as Chairman of the Board of ThinkTennessee, a nonpartisan nonprofit research and advocacy think tank whose purpose is to create civic and economic opportunity in Tennessee. He has won numerous awards for commercial real estate development in Nashville, including the 2019 Lifetime Achievement Award from the Nashville Business Journal. He has served as Board Chair for the Nashville Area Chamber of Commerce, the Metro Transit Authority and the Nashville District Management Corporation; was Vice Chairman of the Metropolitan Nashville Airport Authority, and has served on the boards of numerous organizations, including the University of North Carolina’s General Alumni Association and its Board of Visitors
He and his wife Brooks are the parents of five.
- 2019 Lifetime Achievement Award in Commercial Real Estate, Nashville Business Journal
- Bert is the Chairman of the Nashville Area Chamber of Commerce.
- Past Chairman of the Nashville District Council of the Urban Land Institute
- Bert was the Vice Chairman of The Nashville Airport Authority and the past Chairman of the Metropolitan Transit Authority.
- Bert was named Executive of the Year by the Nashville Business Journal’s inaugural CRE MVP.
- Bert was named by the Nashville Post as one of the CRE Top 50, a list of Nashville commercial real estate professionals considered to be “on top of their game”.
- Bert received the Nashville Downtown Partnership’s Outstanding Achievement in Residential Development award in 2006
- Bert is a member of the ULI’s Daniel Rose Fellowship for Public Leaders Class of 2010.
University of North Carolina, BA with Honors, 1976
Harvard Business School, MBA, 1980
Memberships & Involvements
ULI – Small Scale Development Council, NAIOP, BOMA, Nashville Chamber of Commerce