National Director | Self Storage Group
With a reputation as a key player in self-storage investment sales, James “Ashley” Compton has sold or listed 15.8 million square feet of self-storage sold or listed over the course of his 17 year brokerage career. These transactions are valued in excess of $1.35 billion and place Ashley among top national producers. Upon joining Colliers’ Nashville office in 2016, Ashley was named a national director of self-storage investment sales.
While obtaining his undergraduate degree, Ashley launched his career as an acquisitions analyst for a self-storage REIT. His brokerage experience began at CBRE, where he quickly developed the firm’s Nashville-area practice into a well-known national brand. In 2014 and 2015, CBRE recognized Ashley as the firm’s highest-grossing national self-storage producer. Ashley has served diverse clients including Childress Klein, Bank of America, GE Capital Corporation, Babcock & Brown, Westport Properties, Regions Bank, and U-Haul International.
Before acquiring a master’s of business administration with a concentration in accounting from the University of Mississippi’s School of Business, Ashley earned a bachelor’s in finance and real estate from the University of Memphis.
- 2018, 2019 & 2020 Colliers Everest Club Award Winner (Top 10% Producer Company-Wide)
- 2017, 2018, 2019 & 2020 Top Colliers Self Storage Broker in North America
- 2017, 2018, 2019 & 2020 Colliers Top 10 Producer Award
- 2017 Costar Power Broker
- 2017 NAIOP Top Industrial Sale Finalist
- 2014 & 2015 Top CBRE Self Storage Broker in the Americas
- 2006, 2010, 2013, 2014 & 2015 Top Five CBRE Producer
- 2007 NAIOP Rising Star Award
- 2006 Nashville Business Journal Top 25 Commercial Real Estate Deals (No. 10)
- University of Mississippi, Master's of Business Administration
- University of Memphis, Bachelor's of Arts in Finance and Real Estate
"We chose Colliers, and in specific Ashley Compton for his focused expertise in the self storage industry. Ashley showed his experience throughout the entire process, and managed both sides of the deal with great result. It was nice to work with someone who set expectations and did what they said they were going to do. We would definitely work with Ashley again, he's a pro in the industry." -- Matt Hallam & Jimmy Roembke
”If you have the opportunity to work alongside Ashley in any capacity, you will quickly see he brings a refreshing combination of cutting-edge industry knowledge and financial wherewithal, as well as business integrity and honesty.” -- Drew Hoeven, Westport Properties, Inc.
“Bringing buyers and sellers together can be challenging. However, Ashley creates results through collaboration and stellar communication. I look forward to working with Ashley for many years to come and recommend him to anyone looking to transact in the storage industry.” -- Seth Bent, Red Dot Storage