- For sale
Kilmore Palace is a fine Georgian country property-built c. 1835. The three bay, three storey over basement property is set on approx. 16.5 acres (6.67ha) within a mature demesne landscape. Connected to the building are inner and outer courtyards. The entire is located 6.5km from Cavan town.
Kilmore Palace is an imposing three storey over basement Georgian residence, approached by a long sweeping avenue with beautiful verdant countryside views. On entering the property, the reception hall and the stairs hall are particularly fine, and the four reception rooms are bright and spacious with many special original features. The staircase is most elegant and leads to a return landing with a large window before separating in two to the 1st floor. On the first floor there are seven bedrooms and on the upper level off a central corridor with a large roof atrium are 8 further rooms with a variety of uses. The property has a bright and dry semi basement with high vaulted ceilings. Throughout the house are original Georgian features, including, exceptionally intricate cornices and ceiling roses, ornate antique fireplaces, recessed sash 9 over 6 pane windows with shutters and panelled doors with architrave surrounds. The main property has not been lived in in many years but remains in remarkably good condition. However, it will require full modernisation and refurbishment. Over the years upgrading was carried out as required, including a completely new roof and considerable window refurbishment. The property boasts huge potential as a manageable country house, boutique hotel, private retreat, or a wedding venue subject to planning.
Kilmore Palace has a long ecclesiastical association, originally built as the Bishop’s Palace of the Church of Ireland diocese in Kilmore. Located in a very historic area, it is believed Kilmore was home to Ireland’s first church in the 6th or 7th century by St. Felim. In 1400 a church was built which the then Bishop of Kilmore, Andrew Mac Brady approved as his cathedral in 1454. This cathedral was replaced in 1860 as the original had become inadequate for the number of attending parishioners. Kilmore Palace has been home to each acting bishop ever since.
The lands which extend to approx. 16.5 acres (6.67 ha) comprise of the area immediately surrounding the house including the courtyards, an attractive long avenue which leads to the front of the house and beyond to the courtyards. There is a field to the front of the house which is in grass and former gardens to the rear, bounded by mature woodland.
There are two delightful cut-stone courtyards, which have been totally reroofed but otherwise requiring considerable refurbishment. The inner courtyard has four rooms including former bakery, washroom and laundry room with six further rooms over ground and first floor. The outer courtyard has two double coach houses, tack room, three cut stone barns with several standing stalls with overhead accommodation including five separate rooms.
Kilmore Palace is located 6.5km south west of the busy Cavan Town, which is the principal centre in the North Midlands and will provide all daily requirements of shopping and dining. Nearby in the surrounding area, golf is available at Cavan Golf Club and the Farnham Estate Golf Course. Equestrian activity is available at Cavan Equestrian centre which hosts many weekly and international shows and hunting is available with the Ballymacads and Fermanagh Hunt. Fishing is renowned in Cavan with many lakes and rivers to choose from offering a boater’s paradise. The neighbouring Farnham Estate will also offer new owners a world class health spa and entertaining rooms.
Crossdoney 4 km
Cavan 6.5 km
Dublin (M50) 120 km
Dublin Airport 124 km