- For sale
A splendid gentleman’s estate with an outstanding Georgian Manor House in an elevated mature setting surrounded by mature trees and parkland, with stunning rural and lake views over the east shore of Lough Derg, Co Tipperary.
The house dates to circa 1750, when the estate was in the ownership of the Sadlier Family. The manor house is a detached seven bay, two storey house over basement, with three bay side elevations. Hipped slate roof with central rendered chimney stacks. An unusual feature of the house is the cut stone Ashlar limestone façade, with cut stone cornice, the remaining elevations being rendered. The house and property in general have undergone major restoration and refurbishment since being acquired by the current owner.
The Sadlier family descend from Col. Thomas Sadlier, of Sopwell Hall, Co Tipperary, who represented the counties of Carlow, Kilkenny, Wexford, Galway, Mayo, and Tipperary in Parliament at various times during the 17th Century at one time owned, or more correctly was granted large tracts of land in the North Riding of County Tipperary by Cromwell.
It appears from historical documentation that the lands upon which Bellevue House stands, was owned by one Charles Sadlier. Under the Renewable Leasehold Conversion Act, which recites an original lease made on the 2nd of March 1750, between Charles Sadlier and one John Chawner, who is accredited with the construction of Bellevue. From an Indenture dated the 3rd of March 1857, we note the property transfers from Thomas Sadlier, at the time residing on the South Terrace, Borrisokane, to Samuel Dickson Biggs. The house and lands, then passed to George Washington Biggs by deed of the 14th of December 1897. Samuel Biggs died in 1904, followed some 53 years later by his son George, who had not exercised his power of appointment conferred on him by family settlement deed of the 16th of December 1897, and thus the house and lands passed to his son Samuel George Washington Biggs. Samuel George Washington Biggs sold Bellevue House and Lands to the Mr & Mrs Harold Williams on the 1st of April 1968. The house was then sold on the 10th of January 1997 to the current occupier.
Architecturally the house is intriguing. An earlier less imposing farmhouse, possibly the stewards or farm managers house stood on the site, close to the large stone farmyard and extensive walled garden. The original house was incorporated into the structure we see today by the addition of the spectacular front and generous reception rooms and bedrooms all of which have uninterrupted views over the verdant North Tipperary Countryside and the wide expanses of Lough Derg. The many outstanding period features within the house are as a direct result of the sympathetic and period-based refurbishment undertaken by the current owners. The undertaking to return the house to its former glory, did not end with the house, but included the three courtyards to the rear. The stone sheds have been re-roofed, remodelled and in the case of the nearest barn converted into a remarkable social, business, and entertaining space.
Bellevue Estate is approached through imposing wrought iron gates mounted between cut stone pillars with adjoining pedestrian gates, all set into quadrant walls topped with wrought iron railings. The main gate leads to a meandering avenue, with mature specimen trees, Beech, Holly Oak, Lime, Chestnut, both Horse and Spanish, interspersed with more recent plantings of Copper Beech, Atlas Cedar and Bay Laurel. The gravel avenue extends for approximately 1.2 kilometres from the entrance gates to the gravel fore court to the front of the house. A series of limestone steps rise over the basement level to access the front door, with its pilastered cut-stone doorcase.
Through the main entrance, approached via rising limestone steps, the reception hall at Bellevue is a testament to the exceptional quality of the restoration which is reflected throughout. The impressive reception hall has polished timber floor and panelled walls with matching alcoves, stone chimney piece with inset stove and ornate ceiling plasterwork. To the left of the hall is the atmospheric dining room with columned stone mantelpiece with brass inset and grate. The dining room enjoys a dual aspect, looking down the wooded avenue and to the front to Lough Derg. On the opposite side of the hall is the delightful drawing room with a Bosci style chimney piece with brass inset and grate, ornate ceiling rose and large bay overlooking the grounds. Like the dining room the drawing room has dual aspect, overlooking the manicured lawns and Lough Derg. The drawing room in turn opens to the sitting room with polished timber flooring, columned marble fireplace with brass inset and grate and fine ornate ceiling with plasterwork. The sitting room connects to the stair’s hall with roof lantern, off which is the cloakroom. A couple of steps takes one to the family room, passing the door to the basement. The family room has polished timber floors, Scandinavian stove, French doors to garden, fitted open shelving. From the family room is the door to kitchen/breakfast room with an extensive range of fitted wall and floor mounted kitchen units, central food preparation island with Belfast style sink. Four oven, oil fired aga. Bay window with seating. Double doors to the large butler’s pantry which in turn allows for direct access to the dining room. Opposite the kitchen on the other side of the family room is the door to the integrated garage and then to the boiler house with oil fired boiler system.
Ascending to the first floor, on the first-floor return is the home cinema/sitting room with timber lined ceiling and two windows overlooking the house courtyard. There are two double bedrooms, both en-suite, all with timber lined ceilings.
On the first floor are three further bedrooms. There are two double bedrooms, both en-suite. The first of which has ornate carved mantelpiece with gas-fired grate and steps rising to tiled en-suite bathroom with bath shower and separate dressing room. The second bedroom, also a double, has an en-suite shower room. The third bedroom is the truly delightful master bedroom suite. The bedroom with marble chimney piece and open arch to a small sunroom which offers exceptional views over the Parkland, countryside, and Lough Derg. The bathroom has double washbasins and jacuzzi bath, bidet wash basin and shower. Completing the bedroom suite is a very large walk-in wardrobe.
Steps from the stairs hall descend to the semi-basement which has timber lined ceilings and tiled flooring throughout. Here there are two large offices with double-sided stove heating both sides. In addition, there is a small gym area off which is the sauna, steam room, shower, and WC. The wine cellar is accessed from the gym area. The central office area connects through the boot room with its separate WC to a French door which leads to the grounds. Throughout the basement area there are numerous storage cupboards and a strong room.
Immediately o the rear of the house is the house courtyard. There are several small and large sheds in the courtyard. The wood fired central heating boiler occupies the small open-ended shed to the right of the back door. Immediately adjoining is the open fronted wood store, which in turn abuts the 2-storey tower over arch to stable yard, with large reserve freshwater tank atop. Next is the implement shed for gardening equipment and lawn mowers and a further store. Opposite is the converted byre. A single storey “L” shaped building, fully refurbished, open plan multi-functional space, suitable as a party room, board room or games room. This delightful space enjoys views over and direct access to, the walled garden. Decorated with timber panelled ceiling, timber flooring, glass blocks on some elevations and painted walls, is a light filled space. The sitting area is heated by a Scandinavian stove and at one end two shower rooms and stairs rising to attic storage and at the other a full kitchen, off which stairs lead to storage room attic space.
The adjoining gated arch leads to the extensive walled garden with associated gardeners’ cottage, currently used for storage. The walled garden has several fruit trees, but in the main is laid out in lawns interspersed with flowering shrubs and trees.
Through the water tower arch is the stable yard. The groom’s cottage is tiny and used for storage. The adjoining 3 stables have been partially refurbished, and designed to allow conversion subject to planning consent, suitable for possible residential accommodation. Next are 3 coach houses, with concrete floors. The loft extends over the entire of this structure. A small stone shed with enclosure is next. Believed to have been the bull pen in times past. The final building contains 5 large stables with loft over.
The farmyard contains a 3 span haybarn with 3 span lean-to on one side.
On the lake shore is a traditional stone-built boat house, suitable for storing 2 lake boats. The associated harbour is large enough to moor two larger cruisers or sailing boats, subject to a maximum draft of approximately 1 m.
The land of Bellevue Estate extends to approximately 101 ha (250 acres or thereabouts). The lands are laid out as parkland pastures, grazing paddocks, mature woodland, and some commercial forestry, mainly hardwoods. A feature of the estate is approximately 2 km of lake frontage to Lough Derg.
The parkland and pasture lands extending to approximately 120 acres are used for the grazing of cattle. These lands are tenanted, on a 11month conacre licence to a local farmer.
The mature woodland extends to approximately 50 acres and is predominantly located close to the main house and avenue, with some shelter belts throughout the pastures.
The commercial forestry extends to approximately 70 acres and is basically a hardwood plantation. The crop is starting to get to the thinning stage in some sections. Please note, the premia and grants in respect of the planting has expired and any income is now derived from the thinning process.
Bellevue is located on the eastern shores of Lough Derg in County Tipperary. There are a few small hamlets in the area including Ballinderry, Coolbaun and Kilbarron. The main commercial centre of the area is the Market Town of Nenagh, approximately 18km southeast.
Nenagh, is a very active town with several primary and secondary educational facilities. There are three shopping centres on the outskirts of the town, with international retailers such as Tesco, Aldi, Lidle, and Dunes Stores. Nenagh is served by Rail and road connections to Limerick and Dublin Cities.
Limerick City with its international connections through Shannon International Airport is approximately 1 hrs drive via the M7 and N18.
Dublin City and Dublin International Airport are just a little over 2 hrs drive, via the N7 and M50 motorways.
For the sporting enthusiast, there is an outstanding variety of pursuits. One of the oldest recognised yacht clubs of the world, Lough Derg Yacht Club (LDYC), in the village of Dromineer, is 15km to the south by road, or 10km by water. The club has many activities, including sailing, fishing, sailing school together with non-water based social activities.
Lough Derg is an excellent destination for the angler, with a comprehensive menu of coarse fish and trout.
For the golfer, there are several local courses including Nenagh, Portumna and Roscrea, to name but a few. The world-renowned gold course at Adare Manor is less than hours’ drive to the south of the property.
For the country pursuits enthusiast, the county has two hunts, The Ormond, and The North Tipperary. There are a few driven shoots, the main one being The Island on Illaunmore
Fixture and Fittings
The fitted carpets and curtains and light fittings will remain in the property on closing and will become the property of the successful purchaser. The garden statuery, orniments, machineery, furniture, rugs and goodsand chattles within the house and other buildings are excluded from the sale. The majority are understood to be available by separate negotiation.