Leading Retail Lease Advice
Our retail lease advisory team has a particular specialism in high-value shops, bars, restaurants and gyms in Central London along with the large store sector (such as supermarkets and department stores), high streets, shopping centres and retails parks throughout the UK. We work closely with some of the major Estates in preparing and implementing strategic asset management initiatives.
- Dedicated Lease Advisors 9
- Total Transactions (2020) 400+
- Supermarket Space Under Negotiation (2020) 1m sq ft
- Unit Shops (sq ft) 400,000
We provide expert advice and negotiate for both landlords and tenants, helping our clients achieve the optimal terms of their lease.
We have a particular specialism in high-value shops, bars, restaurants and gyms in Central London.
We also have extensive experience in the large store sector (such as supermarkets and department stores), high streets, shopping centres and retails parks throughout the UK.
Our client base includes some of the major estates, such as Grosvenor and Leadenhall Market, who we work closely with in preparing and implementing strategic asset management initiatives.
We can help you with:
- Lease Restructures / Re-gear Transactions
- Rent Reviews
- Lease Renewals
Our team of experts specialise in identifying opportunities in each of the retail sub-sectors, analysing the options and ensuring each case proceeds as smoothly as possible.
- Close links with all types of property owners to understand nuances of factors motivating their desire to restructure leases
- Continual contact with retailers and leisure operators to understand the challenges / pressures they face and the benefits of restructuring their leases
- Strong agency and investment presence in all retail sub-markets to obtain in-depth information and negotiate the best possible terms for our clients
Whilst the retail market as a whole has weakened over the last 12 months, there are still pockets of rental growth, in particular convenience food shops, stores suitable for occupation by the discounters (Aldi / Lidl) and other shops that remained open as essential retailers throughout the pandemic.
Our technical expertise coupled with a strong agency presence in local markets enables us to provide clear advice on the achievable range of rents in any of the retail sub-sectors. Strong negotiating skills allow us to bring rent reviews to a satisfactory conclusion. Where this is not possible, our extensive knowledge of the third party process brings excellent results at arbitration or independent expert determination.
- Highly Experienced team that includes arbitrators and independent experts
- Access to bespoke demographic systems to support negotiations / third party expert reports
- Unparalleled database of transactions in all retail sub-sectors
As retail leases have been getting shorter, the number of lease renewals (both inside and outside the L&T Act) has been growing steadily. A sound understanding of the negotiating process along with strong agency support are essential in achieving the best possible terms, whether for property owners or retailers.
The ability to prepare expert reports to court and give evidence at court proceedings is a critical string to the lease advisory surveyor’s bow. Our team have extensive experience in preparing expert reports both to court and PACT experts / arbitrators, as well as having appeared in court where necessary.
- Extensive experience in negotiating retail lease renewals in all retail sub-sectors
- Technical knowledge of the L&T legislation to assist in achieving optimal rent / lease terms
- Seamless ties with agency team to provide "behind the scenes" knowledge of alternative occupiers
Retail News & Insights
UK Grocery Real Estate Review 2021
Head of Retail - Lease Advisory
London - West End
Having worked in the Lease Advisory side for over 30 years, Matthew is a specialist in high value retail / leisure rent reviews, lease renewals and lease negotiations.
This includes luxury shops and bars / restaurants in Central London along with other large shops (particularly supermarkets / department stores) and flagship stores for both landlords and tenants in London and throughout the UK.
His team of seven full time professional surveyors and four consultants deal with retail / restaurant rent reviews, lease renewals and regears for landlords and occupiers in all of the major towns and cities in the UK. He also works closely with the agency and investment teams in asset management initiatives, lease restructuring and investment acquisitions and sales.
He is on the RICS panel of independent experts and is regularly called upon to act as third party on high value rent reviews in Central London and throughout the country.
London - West End
Colin is a Director in our Lease Advisory team and specialises in high value and large store retail rent reviews and lease renewals.
This includes transactions on supermarkets, department and variety stores throughout the UK and high value retail units in Central London.
Colin and his team works closely with our agency and investment teams in high value retail investment acquisitions and leasing transactions to provide truly holistic property advice.
Colin advises a wide range of clients including M&G Real Estate, British Land, Hammerson PLC, BMO Real Estate Partners, Aberdeen Asset Management, CBRE Global Investors, Aviva Investors, Cordea Savills etc.
Colin was a Partner at Briant Champion Long prior to the firm becoming part of Colliers International.