The 18th century Lowbyer Manor hotel at Alston in the North Pennines has been sold from an asking price of £525,000 by the specialist hotels team at real estate advisors Colliers International.
Acting on behalf of operators Richard and Laura Eltson who are retiring to live closer to family in South Wales, Colliers International sold the Georgian property to Janice Palmer and Jim McCarry who are relocating from Whitley Bay in North Tyneside.
Lowbyer Manor features nine letting bedrooms and a separate and self-contained Coach House with three-bed owners’ apartment.
The property was constructed in 1778 by the Trustees of Greenwich Hospital after the Crown granted them ownership of the Radcliffe Estates in Northumberland and Cumberland including lead mining rights on the moors.
Around 1858 it was known as The Anchor Inn to reflect the association with Greenwich Hospital for sailors and in 1861 Lowbyer Manor became home to Joseph Paull, overseer of the mines. It then became a Ladies College until 1894 operated by Frances, Florence and Elizabeth Walton, three spinsters of the parish.
Lowbyer Manor remained in the hands of the Walton family, local Justices’s of the Peace until the early 20th century. In 1934 it was converted from a private residence to a hotel and in 1964 Greenwich Hospital sold several assets in the area, including the Manor, to the Catholic Trust.
The sale was achieved by Haydn Spedding, associate director, hotels agency at the Manchester office of Colliers International.
He said: “The sale of Lowbyer Manor is the most recent transaction agreed by the hotels team at Colliers International and reflects significantly improved activity in the hotel, guest house and hospitality sectors generally and in Cumbria in particular. Janice and Jim look forward to starting work at the Manor with some significant upgrades.”