The stone-built hotel in the mountain village of Capel Curig in Snowdonia National Park dates back some 200 years and features 17 en-suite bedrooms, a 60-cover restaurant and Mountain Bar and a seven-bedroom owners’ house.
Cobdens Hotel, which has an annual turnover of £261,370, was once owned by Cambridge University and MCC cricketer Frank Cobden who was born in London in 1849 and died in Capel Curig, aged 83, in 1932.
Mr Cobden became famous for his performance in a match against Oxford University in 1870 in which he secured victory for Cambridge by taking a hat-trick of wickets when Oxford needed just three runs to win. This led to the game becoming known as ‘Cobden’s Match’.
He bought the hotel - formerly known as Tan-y-Bwlch - in 1890 and re-opened it to the public, attracting well-heeled clientele from all over the United Kingdom because of his celebrity status.
The current owners spend much of their time in London and are looking to sell the business to focus on other interests closer to home.
Capel Curig is a popular centre for mountain bikers, walkers, climbers and followers of other outdoor pursuits in Snowdonia National Park. The village is on the A5 and sits at the foot of Moel Siabod.
Neil Thomson, associate director, hotels agency at the North West office of Colliers International in Manchester, has been instructed to sell Cobdens on behalf of the owners and said: “The hotel is in an extremely busy and popular location in Snowdonia and thanks in part to the cricketing talents of Frank Cobden, steeped in history. The premises offer a superb opportunity for an owner operator, with scope to further develop trade.”