We advise clients on business rates, ranging from one-off buildings to large property portfolios.
The team is headed by Mick O’Donoghue who has over 30 years’ experience in dealing with rating valuations and appeals and has acted for a variety of clients on a nationwide basis. Mick is supported by his team of surveyors in Leeds comprising Rob Cohen, Kris Hilton and Helen Buswell and a further 60 full time Rating Team members in Colliers International’s network of offices.
Services we provide
Our role is to “manage” clients Business Rates liability, at which we are extremely successful. Some of the specialist services we offer to achieve fantastic results are listed below:
- Rating valuation - we analyse all the data relevant to your rateable value to help us decide whether it’s appropriate to launch an appeal. If we do, we will negotiate the rating assessment with the Valuation Officer or Assessor, and we’ll take your case to the Valuation Tribunal, Valuation Appeal Committee, Lands Tribunal or beyond if we needed. Negotiating better business rates is an important part of our service but we can do much more for our clients
- Accurates - With complete confidentiality, we forensically examine your historical (billing authority held) payment records for you, to identify instances when you have paid too much. This could have been due to inaccurate calculation at the time, or through charges that were not compliant with the legislation in force. Whatever the reason, we nearly always find substantial sums that can be recovered. These sums are often kept from you by the government for as long as possible, despite belonging to your company.
- Account Management - we combine our expertise in rating and management accounts, so we can manage the payment of non-domestic rates on your behalf. We take responsibility for the entire rates function, ensuring only correct demands get paid and that refunds and interest are recovered promptly. We provide regular, detailed reporting, making sure all payments are traceable against individual properties.
Why choose the Leeds Rating team?
- The Leeds Rating team have over 30 years combined experience in dealing with rating valuations and appeals
- Negotiating better business rates is an important part of the service that the Leeds rating team provide, however we can do much more for our clients
- View a selection of Leeds Rating team’s success stories and find out more about why our clients work with us.
- The Rating team’s clients include among others, Aldi, The Co-operative Group, Go Outdoors, Primesight, Marstons, Nationwide and Sheffield Insulation Group.