B.A. (Hons), MA, MRICS
James joined Colliers as a Director in the Rating department from Knight Frank in January 2019. James has over 12 years experience in mitigating business rates, with previous spells at GVA and the Valuation Office Agency.
James has a broad range of experience across all sectors across England and Wales, with a specific emphasis on hotels and receipts based valuations. Key clients include: Canada Life, Knotel, Allied Irish Banks, Travelodge and Capital & Counties (Capco Covent Garden).
James' first job was at the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors, leading projects such as the Code of Measuring Practice (6th Edition) and revisions to the Red Book, before joining DTZ on their Graduate Scheme in 2006.
- Idenfication of niche approach in rates mitigation for Barrister Chambers; securing £100,000s in business rates savings across the 2010 and 2017 Rating List on individual Chambers in Lincoln's Inn, Temple and Grays Inns of Court.
- Fronting discussions with VOA on valuation of Hotels for 2017 Rating List
- Substantial business rates savings for a number of hotels in the Bayswater Area - successfully challenging the VOA basis of valuation - on the 2010 Rating List
- Regular use of the Monk Supreme Court decision to maximise business rates opportunities for Clients
- Founder of the London Rating Network - networking platform for business rates surveyors based in London and South East to meet socially and share information in an informal setting.
MA in Property Valuation & Law (City University)
BA (Hons) in Classical Studies (University of Newcastle-upon-Tyne)
Memberships & Involvements
- Member of the Rating Surveyors Association