Travis County, located in Central Texas, was established on January 25, 1840, just days after the community of Waterloo had been renamed Austin and designated as the state’s capital. The county was named after William Barret Travis, a legendary commander of the Republic of Texas.
Travis County was created from Bastrop County, which consisted of roughly 40,000 square miles.
The first election of county officials was held in February or 1840, at which time the population was reported to be 856. Local government began work immediately, by establishing four militia beats and by locating a suitable place in which to administer justice for the young county.
Travis County has grown rapidly since its formation, and so has its government. Offices such as the Commissioners Court, County Clerk, Treasurer, Sheriff, Courts of Law and Judges have been a part of Travis County government since its establishment.
- The population of Travis County is 1,214,341
- 68.1% of the total population of Travis County is White, 8.9% is Black or African American, and 6.6% is Asian.
- The age distribution of Travis County is 64.9% ages 20-64 years, 25.8% ages 19 years or younger and 9.3% ages 65 years or older
- The median age for females is 33.6 years old
- The median age for males is 32.9 years old
- 40.4% of Travis County residents are married
- 45.4% of residents have obtained a college degree or higher
- The projected annual population growth in Travis County over the next five years is 3.0%
- The estimated population density in Travis County is 1,188 per square mile
- The estimated per capita income for Travis County is $35,344
- The average household income in Travis County is $89,621
- The average travel times in Travis County are: 15-29 minutes (39.9%), 30-59 minutes (25.9%) and 14 minutes or less (23.4%)
- The total number of businesses in Travis County is 55,360
- The unemployment rate for Travis County is 2.1%
- > 33.1% of Travis County workers have Blue Collar jobs and 66.9% have White Collar jobs
- 67.4% of Travis County residents are married couples with children
- The average family household size is 3.3
- 51.2% of Travis County residents own their home while 48.8% of residents rent
- The median household income in Travis County is $62,974
- The owner-occupied median home value in Travis County is $197,068
- The renter-occupied median rent in Travis County is $760
Data provided from SitesUSA. Click here for the full report.