The area in which Misouri City is now located hold a significant part in the history of Texas that dates back to its early days as part of the United States. In August 1853, the Buffalo Bayou, Brazos and Colorado Railway (BBB&C), began operating its first twenty miles of rail line that stretched from Harrisburg (now Houston) to Stafford’s Point (now Stafford). It was the first railroad to begin operating in Texas, and the first standard gauge railroad west of the Mississippi River.
In 1980, two real estate investors from Houston purchased four square miles of land directly on the BBB&C, only a mile and a half from its first stop at Stafford’s Point. They advertised the property as “a land of genial sunshine and eternal summer” in St. Louis and its surrounding areas. Three years later, W.R. McElroy purchased 80 acres in the same vicinity, and it effort to promote the area jointly with two St. Louis real estate tycoons, he named it Missouri City.