Columbia, SC – The historic Columbia fire station in the Vista, which was once considered the most advanced fire station in the country when it opened in 1952, is getting a new chance at life, thanks to a new potential owner who has already launched the redevelopment of the property and a campaign to lease it.
The Columbia Central Fire Station was built between 1949 and 1951 and served as the Columbia Fire Department’s Headquarters from 1950 until 1995. In 2009, it was added to the National Register of Historic Places. Located in the heart of the Vista, the fire station is located close to the State Capitol and the University of South Carolina, and sits on a very prominent corner in an area which has seen recent additions such as Urban Outfitters, Hickory Tavern and Grill Marks.
Wheeler Development has already begun pre-construction and design work relating to the redevelopment of the property, with a goal of breathing new life into the building while maintaining its historic character. Current plans include renovation to first and second floors and adding a rooftop area. At the same time, Wheeler has partnered with Colliers International’s JP Scurry, CCIM and Scottie Smith to launch a leasing campaign to find restaurant, retail and office users to lease the property.
Scurry, a Vice President of Colliers International South Carolina, and Smith, a Brokerage Associate, are members of the Colliers International Retail Services Team and have successfully leased a number of properties in the Vista.
“There’s so much to be excited about here,” said Scurry. “It will be great to see the fire station’s potential realized: a historic landmark in Columbia that was once a very active part of the community will be once again a thriving part of our city.”
Added Smith, “The fire station is an incredible opportunity for retail, restaurant and office users. It’s already piquing interest, and we aren’t surprised, with its location in the heart of the Vista and an owner who is clearly dedicated to the success of the building and the community.”
The redeveloped fire station property will have up to 35,000 square feet available for lease, and Wheeler Development and Colliers International are seeking tenants now.