NEW YORK, NY – December 2, 2015 – Colliers International has arranged a ten-year, 20,000-square-foot lease at 136 Madison Avenue, with Bernhardt Design taking the entire third floor for use as office and showroom space.
Established in 1889, Bernhardt Design — also known as Bernhardt Furniture — is among the country’s largest family-owned furniture companies and a leading diversified global furniture manufacturer, with its products found in homes, offices, hotels, and universities worldwide. Based in North Carolina, the company operates eight manufacturing facilities, and employs some 1,250 people globally.
Relocating from Midtown, Bernhardt Design plans to occupy its new space at 136 Madison Avenue pending build-out.
“Midtown South continues to be one of the country’s most desirable submarkets, with a wide range of high-end tenants seeking full-floor leases at 136 Madison Avenue,” said Andrew Roos, Vice Chairman of Colliers International Tri-State, who along with Tri-State President Michael T. Cohen represented the building owners in the transaction. “We are thrilled to welcome Bernhardt Design to the building. They are a world-class company, whose cache and stability make them an ideal addition to our tenant roster.”
Ed Wartels and Jim Pirot, Principals with Cresa New York, arranged the lease on behalf of the tenant.
Located on the northwest corner between 31st and 32nd Streets, 136 Madison Avenue is a 17-story, turn-of-the-century building with a dramatic and meticulously restored 16-foot high, art deco entrance on Madison Avenue. The 150,000-square-foot building also includes an elegant concierge desk that is attended 24 hours per day, new passenger elevators, and right-sized floor plates.
Ideally situated at the intersection of Midtown South’s emerging media/technology corridor, Midtown’s business district, and the Murray Hill neighborhood, 136 Madison Avenue is easily accessible to transportation and is in close proximity to a diverse range of hotels, restaurants, parks, and shopping. The building’s main lobby features three magnificent multi-tiered chandeliers hanging from the coffered ceiling. The building has a secondary lobby on 31st Street and a covered loading dock on 32nd Street.