Colliers International is committed to ensuring that its business is conducted according to the highest ethical, professional and legal standards. This is because our success as a company depends on the trust and confidence placed in us by our clients, shareholders, employees, business partners and other stakeholders.
This Code of Ethics and Business Conduct sets out key principles and provides employees with guidance on issues relating to this commitment. It applies to all business transacted by the company and to every member of staff in every business unit. It is the responsibility of each director and department head to implement, promote and monitor compliance with the Code throughout their business unit. All employees must comply with both the letter and the spirit of this Code.
Act with Integrity
- We seek to avoid any conflicts of interest. Where a conflict of interest does arise, we make a clear disclosure of that conflict to the parties concerned and of the steps taken to ensure that fair treatment is maintained. Employees must avoid situations in which his or her financial or other personal interests may be in conflict with the interests of the company or a client.
- We have a zero tolerance of bribery and corruption. This applies to all the company’s business dealings and transactions in all countries in which it operates, either directly or through subsidiaries and/or associates.
- We respect the confidentiality of any information received in the course of our business.
- We maintain procedures to ensure that any buying or selling of shares in either the company or a client is strictly controlled.
- We compete for business in an open and honest way. We maintain the highest possible standards of integrity in business relationships with clients, suppliers and business associates. Business must not be placed or accepted, or contracts or arrangements entered into, for any improper motive.
- Employees must not enter into any contract or arrangement in any way connected with the company’s business with a business associate, an acquaintance of the employee or a member of his or her family without the prior consent of a direct or senior manager.
- Employees must not use the resources of the company for any purpose other than to conduct the company’s lawful and proper business. Employees must not engage in or be connected or interested in any profession, outside business interest or additional employment without the prior consent of a direct or senior manager.
- We view certain gifts and entertainment as inappropriate for the proper conduct of our business. We maintain a policy to guide employees on what is an inappropriate gift or entertainment (either received or being given) and on how such situations should be handled.
Treat Others with Respect
- We are committed to providing a fair, rewarding and enjoyable working environment in which all employees have the opportunity to realise their full potential. All employees receive equal respect, consideration and opportunities from the company and must treat their fellow employees in the same way.
- We are committed to providing the highest standard in safety and occupational health. Employees play an important part in delivering these standards and must take every reasonable precaution to avoid injury to colleagues and members of the public.
- We operate in a way that respects environmental issues and concerns. We act in a socially responsible manner within the countries and societies in which we operate.
- We are good corporate citizen and make a positive contribution to the communities where we operate.
- We encourage community involvement by our employees.
We take every opportunity to improve the professional capability, knowledge and skills of our employees. Employees must uphold professional standards in all dealings and relationships, work within the limits of their competence and complete their duties with due skill, care and diligence. Furthermore, employees must make every effort to meet the technical and professional standards relating to their level of qualification, role and position of responsibility.
Employees who are members of professional institutions must act at all times in accordance with the codes of conduct of their institution. As a firm of chartered surveyors, employees must also act at all times in accordance with the code of conduct of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors. All employees with a professional qualification are encouraged to promote the value of such qualifications and of continuing professional development.
- We comply with all relevant laws of the countries in which we operate and meet the requirements of all applicable regulatory authorities and appropriate codes of practice and codes of conduct. Employees must always perform their duties in accordance with such laws, rules and codes.
- We maintain procedures to prevent money obtained through illegal means entering the legitimate economy. Employees must comply with both the letter and the spirit of these procedures.
Living up to our Principles
- We give careful consideration to our involvement in any assignment that might prejudice our commitment under this Code. Ethical concerns raised by employees will be listened to within the context of this code.
- If employees are in any doubt regarding the interpretation of this Code or concerned about any activity or expenditure that might possibly be construed as questionable, they must consult their manager, department head or the Human Resources department.We maintain procedures for the reporting by employees of particularly serious concerns.
- We ensure that training and advice is available to employees on how to apply this Code to their everyday work. Failures by any employee to adhere to this Code could result in disciplinary action.
We periodically review this Code to ensure that it continues to address the issues for our business and the needs of our employees.